SKETCH DISCO
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

STUFF AND THANGS

Go down 
+11
mybluehoodie
lightbombmike
CogNoman
y2jenn
jlplummer
Garvals
MrBayless
BaronVonJello
NHOJ
Ty
TheChairman
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Garvals

Garvals

STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 12:13 am

Omg you finished Captain America!
really love shapes and colors!
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 07, 2015 2:28 am

STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 Tumblr_njdo2wazLY1rta3qmo1_540
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 4:11 am

STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 YaUwLBB
tried my hand at watercolor tonight... needs more work
Back to top Go down
NHOJ

NHOJ

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 08, 2015 11:17 pm

Really nice take on Cap, Bay. If you're feeling up to it, I'd love to see your take on the rest of the Movievengers.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 2:02 am

DaVengurs?
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 3:42 am

Tried my hand at some shading/lighting practice tonight.

1. Sunlight 2. Less light 3. Lit from behind
I drew and shaded them in Flash then moved them to Photoshop for for some added oomf.
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 W88XLyD

pre PS
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 57FKcQ9
Back to top Go down
Ty

Ty

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 7:32 am

You should definitely continue studying light! Check out portraits and figures and observe how light falls on them, and try to figure out how you can pare it down to the same level of simplicity your figures have.
Back to top Go down
Garvals

Garvals

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 7:57 am

Agree, i like how you can imagine a sunny background with 1st character and darker/batman'ish with 2nd!
Back to top Go down
CogNoman

CogNoman

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 10:47 am

Oh wow - awesome study, Bay. I do know one thing about light... when light gets dimmer, shadows get softer. When light is brighter, shadows are much more clearly divided in to light and dark.

So when it's a bright sunny day out with a bright sun (or if if it's night-time but you're shining a bright spotlight or flashlight on somebody), you end up with light on one side and dark shadows on the other, and they're very clearly divided in to a light side and a dark side (just like how you coloured the guy on the left).

But when it's foggy, or low light, you just have a soft gradation from the somewhat-lighter side to the somewhat-darker side (the division between light and dark isn't as harsh... it's a more subtle, soft gradation from dark to light).

So for the 2nd character... if the light is dim, I would make the difference between his light side and dark side less extreme. So maybe make his light side slightly darker or his dark side slightly lighter, to bring their shades closer together.

The way you've coloured these 3 characters now... it doesn't so much look like you're 'dimming' the light. It looks more like the guy is standing near a road and a car with bright lights is shining on him, and the car is slowly driving away... so the light is getting 'smaller' (because it's farther away) but it's not getting any dimmer. It looks like the light is equally bright in all 3 scenarios (it's just a smaller light).

Dunno if this makes any sense at all, but no worries - great idea for a study though, Bay-
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 1:39 pm

I see what you mean yeah. I basically used %40 opacity on all 3 shadings.
For guy 2 maybe crank it down to %20 and use more of the brush all over to smooth it out.

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
CogNoman

CogNoman

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Oh, yeah, that's pretty much it exactly. I was worried my post above was way too rambly. Yeah, like you say, if the light is dimmer, you could use a lighter opacity for the shadows. You could also do the opposite -- you could use a darker colour for his light side. The important thing is just that the light and dark side are closer in colour (not as extremely divided in to light and dark).

As far as 'using a brush to smooth it all out', though... If you were painting realistically, that could work. But your colouring style is a bit more 'Samurai Jack'-ish. Like, you use flat colours for shadows. So I'm not sure if using a brush to smooth things out would work with your colouring style?
So if you wanted to keep the Samurai Jack colouring-style look without having to use a brush to smooth out the shadows, you could just pick colours that were closer together.

Anyways, whaaatever, there are no rules. It's art. Anything can look good, everything works. It's all good.

Umm... if you were looking for tutorials on light and stuff, looking at photography (or film-making) tutorials on YouTube can help. Photographers (and videographers) are obsessed with light, shadows, bright light, soft light, different types of shadows, etc, so that can be a place to get some info. Like, maybe search 'photography light shadow tutorial', or something (I don't know if any of those videos there are any good, but stuff like that). If you want. Whatever, it's all good!
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 09, 2015 7:53 pm

I typically draw it all out in Flash, blocking shadows (and little highlights if it needs it) and then transfer to PS and there I use, typically, a large feathered brush on like 40% opacity to add a darker shadow and any light (like the yellow on dude 1's shoulder)
I like the softer effect it adds ON TOP of my flat style. I feel like helps round it out a little.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 10, 2015 5:26 am

Long day today. Had to fix several switches and outlets around the house. When I was down I sat down to finally watch Elysium.
Fuckin awesome movie. Was too enthralled to draw so here's a quick Kruger.
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 2qVBUsQ
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 6:08 am

no drawing today guys... sorry just didnt feel up to it. hopefully tomorrow is a better day
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 4:41 am

i MAY be a tad bit obsessed.
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 AbD5dkz

remember last year when JahPlumbum and I couldnt stop drawing dwarves? yeah... now its Barry Allen. this show rules.
so goodness.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 5:08 am

Finally started my thumbnails again
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 Scan0153_zpspgdvm0py
Back to top Go down
mybluehoodie

mybluehoodie

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 8:45 am

aw yiss comic thumbnails!
Just remember, for scene clarity, don't forget the 180° rule.
looking forward to seeing more!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mybluehoodie.com
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 6:13 am

these were actually done last night at like 3AM just couldn't get to my computer until now.
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 Scan0154_zps7le6pvus
Back to top Go down
neil
Admin
neil

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 7:05 am

oh sweet, wang

I'm not sure if you were looking for feedback on these or trying to keep stuff a surprise, but if you want input on how these layouts are working it might help to have some clearer scans (though it's possible your intent is to keep it vague til the finals). either way, sweet, wang
Back to top Go down
http://neeil.com
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 7:13 am

I did want input were available. I'm not trying to keep it vague, I just unfortunately do these very sketchy and not too dark (have to darken the scans in photoshop haha)
Back to top Go down
Ty

Ty

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 11:13 pm

I think larger thumbnails would help our ability to see a little more clearly. Big it up.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 5:58 am

I'll darken them and repost them individually tomorrow.
Tanky tanky
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 2:28 am

STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 MdT2ygC
(i want a more ground up perspective on the "shit" dropping bullets panel)

STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 89g2cPB

Not attempting to hide anything. I just actually thumb this sketchy, and then i write the first few lines of dialog for my own knowledge. unorthodox? prolly.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 4:45 am

Today's work. WIP of a lineup I'm doing. Been a while since I've done one, thought it'd be fun to throw it back for Arrow and Flash pirat
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 TeamArrow_zps7yhkgdri
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 6:13 am

late finishing this. been working on it for the past few hours.

look up Nightwing: The Series on youtube. not half bad.
STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 NightWing%20The%20Series_zpsojmotuxg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: STUFF AND THANGS   STUFF AND THANGS - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

STUFF AND THANGS
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next