SKETCH DISCO
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators

Go down 
+2
mybluehoodie
NHOJ
6 posters
AuthorMessage
NHOJ

NHOJ

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators Empty
PostSubject: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm just going to c&p my post from Facebook below:

Fractured Reality: a Facebook gallery that is a good (?) example of a major problem on the Internet, namely pages that post the work of other artists and don't give them any sort of credit whatsoever.

I left a comment on one of their images, calling them out for this and leaving a link to the original artist's Facebook page in the process. And this is how they replied (I was blocked soon afterwards, and all my comments were deleted, but not before I screencapped everything).

Tells you everything you need to know about the sort of people who run such pages.

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators BBo3j0K

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators FM4mAmO

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators DOz9C6e

I'm glad to see that my post about this on Twitter is getting quite a few RTs. If I can make the person who runs this page squirm even a little bit today, I'll be happy.

EDIT: Well, then, it'd seem that the person running the page has deleted it! Huzzah.
Back to top Go down
mybluehoodie

mybluehoodie

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators Empty
PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 1:52 pm

amen, brother.
good fucking riddance to awful trash
Back to top Go down
http://www.mybluehoodie.com
y2jenn

y2jenn

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 1:54 pm

He did have a point somewhere in there between all the shitty responses. Artists do need to sign their work. For all we know, this charming dude didn't grey out the signature or rearrange the comic himself. He could have found it online like that after some other person like this did it. Of course, that's no excuse for his behavior. It's likely he's not a creative himself. He's of that same mind as all those kids on DA who think a blanket "credit goes to the artist" is enough to keep them safe from people who would call them out or just file infringement complaints. Artists are only there to serve them and how dare they react poorly to something "just for fun".
Back to top Go down
http://y2jenn.deviantart.com/
NHOJ

NHOJ

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Oh, yeah, I totally agree, Jenn. The only thing is, there's only so much an artist can do, without resorting to putting intrusive watermarks all over their images. It's just so easy to crop/edit out an artist's signature from the original image.

I understand why people share this stuff without crediting the artist. A lot of non-creative types seem to just forget that art has to be created by someone, so it won't even occur to them to give them credit. Not saying that it's an excuse, but I understand why it happens.

However, what pissed me off here was the (no doubt) kid's attitude to being called out. Rather than just apologising and leaving it at that --or, hell, just completely avoiding me-- the guy seemed to gain pleasure from the fact that he was in the wrong. That is what boiled my blood in this instance and is why I made such a big fuss about it.
Back to top Go down
Garvals

Garvals

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Yeah...that's exactly what happens most of times. People just go "we just found stuff somewhere in the internet and have no idea who is the artist, go away! :-\".
The fact that he just don't get the idea of how things work and believes that you are troll and came for a conflict, tells that he has that mind of a 50y/o person who don't even know that artists have some rights. And there are a lot of people like that.
Back to top Go down
neil
Admin
neil

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 5:04 pm

this is a very serious thread indeed
Back to top Go down
http://neeil.com
jlplummer

jlplummer

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 7:13 pm

Thanks john I love a bit of rage to go with my morning coffee.

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators Tumblr_inline_mqmy2fMqFv1qz4rgp

All joking aside, as dumb as kids like that are it's good to put a bit of squeeze on them whenever you get the chance. They might whine and flip the argument and sound completely illogical (case in point here) but it does put a dent on things and educate those who see the argument. It doesn't take a genius to know that, signature or not, if you want to re-share and re-host images ESPECIALLY art/photography/creative bits, it helps to credit the original creator because that directs people to MORE fun shit on the internet, and if there's no obvious credit then to ask viewers to submit info they find SO IT CAN BE INCLUDED LATER.

Still. Oof, my rage. Kid is glad I'm not around facebook anymore or his ass would have been re-arranged with his face.
Back to top Go down
http://jlplummer.tumblr.com
NHOJ

NHOJ

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators EmptyWed Feb 11, 2015 11:50 pm

The part that pissed me off the most was the little shite saying that it should be up to the page's followers to track down the original artists, and not the person who runs the page.

While don't think this kid is going to learn anything from this experience, and will bo doubt weither set the page up again or start a new one, I'm hoping that it at least gave them some pause to think about what an idiot they were being.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators   An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators Empty

Back to top Go down

An actual serious thread -- just saw first hand the utter disdain people can have towards creators
Page 1 of 1