SKETCH DISCO
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My legs hurt

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BaronVonJello

BaronVonJello

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptyFri May 15, 2015 11:52 pm

So I was asked to be part of a gallery show this October. My first one ever. The theme of the show is "Classic Halloween" and it was suggested to me that I have some character sketches and possibly a few resin castings. I came up with these babies:

My legs hurt GQXlQYi
My legs hurt KQ1t6mD

It's still super early in development, but I like the idea of cute monster kids trick or treating as other monsters or even Halloween icons. I'm not married to any of the designs so I'm very open to suggestions. I'd like to eventually get to a couple hand drawn sketches of the final characters plus 3D models that will eventually be printed, molded, a few resin casts pulled and I'll paint with acrylics. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
BaronVonJello

BaronVonJello

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptySat May 16, 2015 2:52 am

My legs hurt BAZl6Ek

Roughed out a few more forms, colors, and costumes. I think I'm getting closer.
Back to top Go down
y2jenn

y2jenn

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptySat May 16, 2015 3:08 am

Jeez, you are too fabulous with shapes.

I think you've nailed it with the little werewolf. He was looking almost TOO cute in that first sketch. Pushing his arms just a little bit further and balancing out his proportions really sold him for me. Batgirl also leveled up. The little widow's peak was DEFINITELY the way to go. I adore her.

I think I prefer the wider set eyes and the thinner fins on the creature from the black lagoon. She could wear anything and be totally adorable though. The pirate outfit is just so great.

I'd love to see a Frankenstein's monster done up as someone like the Phantom of the opera. I'm so down for resin models of these.
Back to top Go down
http://y2jenn.deviantart.com/
BaronVonJello

BaronVonJello

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptySat May 16, 2015 3:18 am

Thanks Jenn! I plan on taking the time to really work out each one individually, right now I just really need to nail a set of shapes to stick by. I'm glad you noticed! You're right on the werewolf, he was a tad TOO cute when starting out and I've tried to age him up a little as I've progressed. I definitely think it'll be a combination of the two pumpkin overall forms. I love his aviator costume so I think I'll stick with that.

I agree with you on the creature, the smaller fins add to that big-headed cute appeal. I've just gotta find a way to keep them nice and thick so they don't break off in the mold. These figures will probably be between 4-5 inches at the highest so I've just gotta design accordingly.

Glad you like the batgirl, but idk something about her still doesn't feel right. I think I need to focus on her the most. The costume is getting cuter I think at least.
Back to top Go down
Garvals

Garvals

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptySat May 16, 2015 5:02 am

Holy wow! I don't know what happened but your style evolved so much.
Absolutely love those characters.
I like first three at the first picture, but the second one - the Grumpy Clown Bat Girl just needs to be done in color too.
The pirate werewolf is awesome with those glasses and pumpkin picture on his belly.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptySat May 16, 2015 8:48 pm

These are absolutely adorable. Your work in toys definitely lends itself to these designs. They look like they could be slapped in ANY outfit and still be wonderful.

Id keep Wolfie's arms out more like the second drawing. Has more of an excited/pumped stance and definitely bring Lagoon's arms back up to the nervous pose of pic 1.
Back to top Go down
Ty

Ty

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:06 pm

These evolved quickly. Your ability to crank out a set of instantly identifiable and differentiated silhouettes that are all fun to look at is peerless.
Back to top Go down
BaronVonJello

BaronVonJello

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:58 pm

Alex - Yea I'm absolutely going to keep the personality of the fish-girl from the first sketch. She'll be the nervous one, the werewolf is the fat eager one, and the vampire girl will be the fuck-this-give-me-some-candy one.

My legs hurt Hi2xF2w
Another preliminary sketch. I like these costumes. Wolf is getting closer.

Brandt Peters--the artist who invited me to the show---has also been giving me his insight to what he wants to see from me. I've taken his direction of getting the wolf character to a point where I really like, and then designing the other two characters around him. So far here's what I've got:

My legs hurt YHWG0cp

So far, I really like the direction of the bottom three although I think the fat one could be cutened up a bit to match the top fat one. Still evolving, but I'm getting closer with each sketch.
Back to top Go down
MrBayless

MrBayless

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt EmptyTue May 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Im personally a big fan of this guy
My legs hurt Mhn1eMr

I LOVE the excited fat wolf personally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My legs hurt Empty
PostSubject: Re: My legs hurt   My legs hurt Empty